Tuesday 8 February 2011

Paprika Turkey & Med Veg with Porky Roasties

I would have probably made this with veal if it was cheaper and more readily-available (to say nothing of its ethical status).......

Soften a small handful of sliced peppers and onions in a pan - I used rendered gammon lard (more later) - and then add some sliced mushrooms and courgettes and 1 heaped tsp lazy garlic. Stir-fry for a couple of minutes and set aside. In the same pan, with a little more oil/lard sauté a turkey breast dredged in paprika. Turn and add 1 more dstsp garlic puree, half a tin of tomatoes, 1 dstsp tomato puree, a scant tsp oregano and S+P to taste. Add the cooked vegetables and heat through.


For the roasties
I cheated (for me) because I was in a hurry so I par-boiled the spuds, cut smaller than usual,  first - I know a lot of people do that as a matter of course. I'd preheated the oven to high and, in a shallow dish, melted some  lard created when I made some pork scratchings last week from leftover gammon rind, drained and strained.


 I do strongly believe in head-to-tail animal husbandry and, even if I do say it myself, the pork scratchings were the best I've ever tasted!