Monday 7 February 2011

Chicken À L’Orange with Whisky & Ginger

This is distinct case of do as I say, not as I do: I didn't make enough marinade/sauce to serve with the finished dish!

I was talking to a friend online last week, looking for inspiration as ever, and she said she was having roast duck. Ah. says I, I haven't had that for ages - and conceded that duck isn't very expensive nowadays. But I had boned-out chicken thighs (skin on) in the freezer.......


4 heaped dstsp marmalade, dissolved in 100ml hot water. Add 2tsp ginger puree, 2 dstsp whisky and S+P to taste.Boil vigorously to reduce to 180ml. Put the chicken thighs (2 small per person) in half the marinade, reserving half (like wot I didn't!) to serve as a pouring sauce, for at least 2 hrs. Heat a solid hob-oven pan and sear the chicken, skin side down. Pour over the marinade and bake in a med-high oven, uncovered, for 12-15 mins.


I served mine on a bed of mashed carrot and parsnip with a timbale of basmati rice. Would have been a big improvement with more sauce!