Monday 14 February 2011

Liver & Onions, Mash and Mushy Peas

I feel sorry for people who don't like liver - put off, I daresay, by the shoe-leather dished up at school. I'm no fan of pigs liver (or kidney, come to that), but give me lambs', calves' or even slow-braised ox-liver.........And heart (for Valentine's day), which might not impress your beloved, though!




The first time I ever cooked liver was when I was at college in London - we had my flatmate's mother coming for lunch and I suppose I was out to impress. I never consciously LEARNED to cook at all - just found that I'd absorbed skills by mooching in the kitchen while my mother was making dinner, or "Supper" as she called it (being a southerner).

So, liver......she'd dip it in flour, fry it in a little oil with onions, add beef stock to cover, and simmer it while she cooked the potatoes and veg. Ox - which I don't  remember her ever buying - takes about an hour. I tend to batch-cook everything so this is enough for 3 meals - liver is much more filling than the  equivalent weight of meat: 500g liver floured and fried to brown. 3-4 handfuls chopped onions softened. Add liver and stir in 300ml hot water + 1 hpd dstsp beef bouillon (Oxo). Simmer on low for 10 mins.

Home-made mushy peas? Forget all the soaking with bicarb etc - I tip a whole packet into the pressure-cooker and cook for about an hour-and-a-half, take off the lid and boil vigorously until you've got the right consistency. Again, I portion (in washed-out Buttery tubs), and freeeze....
Yum!