Wednesday 9 February 2011

English Beef & Ginger Chow Mein

I've called this "English" because my local supermarket didn't have many of the ingredients I wanted: no beansprouts or pak choi so I used sweetheart cabbage; no bamboo shoots, so I substituted thin slices of swede (turnip to my US brethren) and, finally, I finished it with a little beef gravy.....


You need 2 big handfuls of cooked noodles and a  big handful of blanched carrots & swede (substitute for bamboo shoots) before you start the stir-fry. Soften some sliced green peppers (2 dstsp?) and a handful of chopped onion in a little veg oil. Turn the heat up and add a big handful of frying steak in strips, a medium mushroom sliced, 1 dstsp lazy garlic and 1 dstsp ginger puree. Stir well, lower heat and add 1 dstsp soy and 1 dstsp lime cordial and a handful of very thinly shredded cabbage. Add the cooked noodles noodles (2 big handfuls) and stir in 100ml gravy (approx), another dstsp soy and 1 dstsp of sesame oil. Check seasoning - I added a little salt; you may want a pinch of sugar or chilli.......

(Jamie Oliver: eat your heart out!)