Sunday 20 March 2011

My Latin Liver

 I first did this dish back in 1998 at Grandma Becky's Kitchen in Hoylake. During a camping holiday in Cornwall a few years earlier I'd been amused by the way the locals greeted everyone "Hello, my lover".......

This variation omits the oregano I used then and substitutes a basic bechamel white sauce for cream.


Cut a handful of lamb's liver into strips, shake in flour and fry in a little oil until golden brown. Set aside. In a little oil and butter soften a small handful of onions and peppers; add 2 tsp of crushed garlic, 1 sliced mushroom and about the same quantity of sliced courgette. Add the liver, 1 tsp basil and 1 tsp flour. Stir well and gradually whisk in 200ml milk.


Simmer and add 1 heaped tsp of chicken bouillon powder and S+P to taste. Add more milk or water if necessary.