Friday 4 March 2011

Beef Olives stuffed with...... olives

I was perpexed as child why so-called "beef olives" weren't stuffed with olives. Yes, I had sophisticated tastes way ahead of my years, probably because of my yiddisher Grandma, at whose home pickled cucumbers would be on the table at every meal, together with that uniquely Jewish condiment, Chrain - a relish of beetroot and horseradish.

I haven't made beef olives for years, but in the freezer I had some very thin slices of "frying steak" - probably top rump, I guess - which I thought would be ideal for rolling up. But this time I was going to stuff them with proper olives (and traditional sage & onion)!


Make up some sage & onion stuffing according to directions on the packet if you're lazy like me - I used half a pack, and that was way too much. Take a  steak about 5 oz in weight and hammer out as thin as possible without tearing the meat, turn in the rough edges and bash again - I ended up with a rectangle approximately six inches long by four-and-a half inches wide. Take a small egg-sized scoop of stuffing and mix with 4 chopped, pitted green olives - I used anchovy stuffed ones, though garlic or pimento ones may have been rather tasty - and roll into a sausage about  two-and-a half inches long. Lay this crosswise on the steak about a half-inch from the bottom edge. Turn the sides in to form a parcel and then roll up along its length, securing with cocktail sticks.


Brush with oil and roast on high for 8-10 mins. Add about a third of a pint of gravy, cover, lower heat to Mk5 and cook for a further 8-10 minutes.

I use gravy granules when I haven't got real meat stock to hand, but add a little beef bouillon and a pinch of pepper and salt to get a more authentic beefy taste.

Proper roast potatoes, parsnip roasted with a little salt and sesame oil, and carrots and swede completed my feast.