Wednesday 15 September 2010

Mediterranean Vegetables with Couscous & Meatballs

I came back from the pub, starving, and wanted something quick and spicy. I boiled the kettle and poured hot water over the couscous in bowl. In a wok I sauteed some red onions with peppers, courgettes, halved cherry tomatoes (I bought 2 punnets reduced to 25p each on Sunday) with some garlic, chopped chillies from a jar and a handful of chick peas from the freezer. 
(CHEAT'S TIP: I cook a whole bag of dried chickpeas in the pressure cooker, rinse and spread out on a tray; freeze overnight and then store in a resealable bag - they only take a minute to defrost for use).


I added to the veg mix a little ground coriander, cumin, paprika, sugar, oregano and a pinch of cayenne pepper. I did another cheat and opened a tin of meatballs in gravy and put half in with the veg mix, heated through, stirred in the cooked couscous and....

 
......a delicious meal in less than 10 minutes!