Monday 13 September 2010

Cottage Pie with Pork and Chives

I'd been out at The Liverpool Food Festival earlier and had Jerk Chicken with Peas 'n' rice for breakfast/lunch so I fancied something traditional for tea - except I used a mixed mince of beef and pork (only a £1.00 for 400g from Asda, and not full of grease or water) and I spiced it up with garlic and chives!


INGREDIENTS & METHOD
Peel a couple of medium potatoes and boil in salted water. Mash.
In another pan soften a handful of onions, stir in 200g mince (pork and beef) and brown the meat. Add 2tsp garlic puree and 1 dstsp chives (dried). Stir in 1 tsp flour to make a roux, add 100ml water and 1 scant tsp beef bouillon. Boil rapidly to reduce. Mine looked a bit pale but I slightly overdid the gravy browning! Put into an oven-proof pie dish, top with mash - score with a fork and brush with beaten egg. Bake for 30 minutes in a very hot oven.
Grand!