Sunday 25 March 2012

Cheat's Cajun Pork & Beans with Rice

I read a blog a couple of days ago with a recipe for N'Orleans Beans & Rice, which sounded rather scrummy (takepart.com, 23rd March 2012). As I'd cooked a gammon corner earlier in the week (just over £4 for over 2kg from The Amazing Freezer Shop) and still had both  the stock  and some chunks of gammon, I set about adapting  the recipe to the ingredients I did have.

Instead of Andouille Sausage I used some raw chorizo which is less garlicky but  I made up for that with the crushed fresh variety! I would have taken a shortcut and used a Cajun mix - except I didn't have any so I cheated and used a Mexican blend - the cayenne, paprika, garlic, basil and oregano are common to both!

In pork lard, if available, soften a small handful of chopped celery, a small handful of  chopped red pepper and a small handful of chopped onion.

 

Turn up the heat, add 2 small chorizo sausages in thick slices and 2 tsp crushed garlic.  Stir and add 1 scant tsp Cajun spices - although as  I said, I used a Fajita mix - and 1 scant tsp of dried thyme. Cook through and stir in 125ml of gammon stock. Bring to the boil and add 1 dstsp tomato purée. Mix well and add 1 small handful each of cooked kidney and pinto beans and a small handul of chopped gammon. Ham or cooked bacon would work as well.


Serve with rice (and lots of soul!).