Friday 26 August 2011

Basket Case

The-girl-who-came-to-dinner was back on the unposh side of the Mersey tonight - scrounging tea off some old friends - so I was able to indulge myself with shellfish and carrots: one she's allergic to, and the other she simply has a phobia about! This was really just scampi and chips with coleslaw - but everything with a twist.



I can't take any credit for the breaded prawns with coconut - Hannah introduced me to this wonderful cut-price emporium in Old Swan, which I now find irrestible. I mean, 50p for a bag of scampi!


Instead of chips I went for home-made crisps, served hot. In one of those "do as I say, not as I do" commands, if you're not as impatient as me you will lightly-salt the cut potatoes about an hour before eating.


 Drain and pat dry before deep-frying on about 130 for 3 minutes, shaking well to separate the crisps. Drain again, whack the heat up to 180-190 and fry until golden-brown and crispy. Mine were a little too starchy and some of them stuck together.

The coleslaw used red cabbage as the base and was nicely spicy: one handful of shredded cabbage with one medium carrot grated or shredded - I use a potato peeler - and half a red onion, thinly sliced. For the dressing mix 2 dessertspoons of mayonnaise with 1 dessertspoon of Tommy K, 1 dessertspoon of sesame oil, 2 shakes of Worcestershire sauce and 2 shakes of Tabasco.



The dip for the prawns/scampi was created from 1 dessertspoon of sour cream blended with a few drops of coconut essence.

There you have it: bachelor's dinner for one!