Tuesday 21 June 2011

Mussel Stroganoff

This was one of my best bits of inspiration yet!

Soften a good handful of chopped onion in oil and butter with 2 scant tsp of crushed garlic. Add 2 handfuls of sliced mushrooms and stir-fry for a minute or two. Stir in 1 dstsp of Paprika and coat well.


Fold in a good handful of shelled mussel meat - mine were still frozen, so I allowed a minute or so extra cooking time - and then slowly add 120ml of sour cream (I used 120ml fresh whipping cream mixed with 1 scant tsp lemon juice). Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and half a tsp of tomato puree. Heat through and serve.

Cheat's tip: For the yellow rice I've never really liked the method involving turmeric - it is too strong a flavour so I use yellow powder fom the Chinese supermarket or just ordinary cooks' colouring (with all its e-numbers!). Served drizzled with sour cream. Yum!