Tuesday 31 May 2011

Tunisian Turkey with Carrot & Coriander Purée

Ok, so the dish is about as Tunisian as Sidney Greenstreet's fez in "Casablanca" (one of my top-five favourite movies). A time to use up little bags of things in the freezer: a while ago I made the mistake of taking out  a red block of what I thought was chopped tomatoes, only to find it was (home-made) carrot and coriander soup. This time it was intentional. My geography is not that good so I'm not even sure if they grow carrots anywhere in North Africa but the flavours were, in my own opinion, spot on.


Soften a handful chopped onion and  one of mixed peppers in butter and oil, add a handful of diced turkey (or chicken) and a small handful of diced aubergine.  Colour slightly and add  2 tsp crushed garlic, 1 heaped tsp paprika,  1 tsp each of ground coriander and cumin,  a pinch of chilli powder and 1 tsp ginger puree. Stir in 200ml carrot & coriander puree/soup followed by 1 tsp lime cordial and 1 scant tsp sugar. Mix in a  handful cooked chickpeas and 2 diced dried figs, heat through - bubbling vigorously if the sauce is too thin - and serve.

I had rice but this would work equally well with couscous.