Friday 24 August 2012

Mersey or Mediterranean?


For the second time today, I’m on fish! 

 Lunch consisted of cold pasta with flaked smoked herring, onions and olives, mixed up with soft cream cheese. Seasoning was minimal  - just a pinch of salt and freshly-ground pepper.

And to complete, a handful of leaf and freshly-picked cherry tomatoes from the plant Hannah's mother gave me last weekend.


Dinner was bargain basement in terms of cost, but fit for a king of Sparta in terms of luxury! Hannah recently treated me to two packs of rainbow trout – four whole, gutted fish for just 50 pence each (Frozen Bargains, Old Swan)!   




My uncle, who used to be Director of Torrey Marine Research Station in Aberdeen, told me when I was a kid that frozen fish is actually fresher than fresh! So there!






I topped and tailed one trout and marinated it in olive oil, with a little garlic, lemon juice, ground cumin and coriander and a pinch of S+P. Simply grilled on each side, I served it on a purée of rhubarb (free, from Hannah’s brother’s garden) with new potatoes and asparagus slathered with butter.